Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Palmiers


I understand the concept of spring fever, and I remember feeling that way a few months ago. I remember how exciting it is for the flowers to start blooming, and the air to start getting warm, and feeling like all of the color is starting to creep back into everything after a long winter. But spring seems like so long ago, and I have been struck with fall fever. I can't walk down the street with picking up a beautiful red and orange leaf. I can't walk down the grocery store aisle without picking up more spices and tea. I don't want to do anything besides revel in fall. I am trying to hold onto fall for as long as I can. I am ready to carve our pumpkin & head to another haunted house. I don't ever want this season to end.

leaves and flours vegan pumpkin spice palmiers

I found a recipe for pumpkin spice palmiers while browning Serious Eats. The recipe sounded pretty intriguing to me, but seemed to lack a few details. I wasn't sure how long to cook the pumpkin syrup for, so I simmered until it was reduced to a half cup. While it tasted delicious as a syrup, once it was spread thinly on the puff pastry the flavor wasn't as intense. Next time I would reduce it to 1/4 cup most likely. If you make these, I also suggest spreading the syrup as thinly as possible. If there is too much parts of the palmier will not crisp properly and will get soggy only a few hours after you bake them. I also switched up the spice mix a bit. I omitted the ginger, and more nutmeg and a bit of cloves.

leaves and flours vegan pumpkin spice palmiers

3 comments:

  1. I love fall too. I also love this delicious recipe you just shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful orange hue! This small tweak to a classic treat is brilliant, and still so simple. I'm not sure if I'd be able to reserve that pumpkin syrup just for the cookies though... It would be mighty tempting to pour into coffee, tea, or on top of pancakes and waffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pour the syrup on waffles and it was phenomenal!

      Delete