Thursday, November 14, 2013

Baklava Donuts & Holiday Gift Ideas


Maybe it's just because I grew up in the South. But I think a lot about food and gifts and gifts of food. There is no way I would go to a dinner at someone's house empty handed. It's just poor form. It's actually unlikely that I will show up at someone's house ever without some sort of sweet or offering in hand, even if it's just a box of tea or a few leftover cookies. Those offerings are so important to me. It's nice to acknowledge someone in the smallest of ways. And it's even better to acknowledge them in larger ways occasionally. With the holiday season rapidly approaching (Hanukkah is less than two weeks away?!), I have been thinking a lot about what to give my friends & family this year.

leaves and flours vegan baklava donuts leaves and flours vegan baked doughnuts for everyone

Ashley of the Edible Perspective just released her first cookbook Baked Doughnuts For Everyone! I made the baklava doughnuts from them with a friend a few weeks ago, and they came together in no time. I think the book would be a totally adorable gift. Cookbooks like this are just destined to be part of a gift basket with a few jars of flours, a doughnut pan & a new kitchen towel. While it's not a vegan cookbook, often those are my favorite kind. I love to look at people's recipes & tweak them to work with my own needs. If you are looking for a vegan cookbook, there are two that came out recently that I would give stellar reviews to: Easy As Vegan Pie & Vegan Desserts in Jars. What can I say? I like pie. I like mason jars & ribbons. I like meringue & whip cream. These two books have everything you need to offer someone this holiday season.

leaves and flours vegan la creuset glitter spatula leaves and flours vegan la creuset glitter spatula

If you're looking for a gift for more kitchen folk in your life, my favorite spatula in the world is Le Creuset. It also happens to come in a glitter version, which I definitely own. It's been with me for a year of heavy use, and it hasn't worn in the slightest. Cuisinart sells a set of mixing bowls that are the perfect sizes for everyday use. I also love that they have lids. Which makes storing things in the fridge much easier, and generally means I get by with washing a few less dishes.
Maybe you need a gift for someone who already has a little too much kitchenware? Pure ingredients are always a really nice start. Good chocolate, spices, & maple syrup, are always a great place to start. There are few things that make me happier than having really amazing food to work with, and I know so many people who feel the same way.
If you're the baker in this side of the equation, you should definitely spoil the people around you with treats this whole season. Vegan Food Gifts is a great place to start for a few ideas. If you already have a specialty, than run with it. The packaging ideas in Joni's book are really terrific. Don't forget to include some serving utensils or a fancy plate for that extra umph! My favorite plates right now are the vintage lace collection from Sur La Table. I just got a salad plate in grey and have been using it for everything!

leaves and flours vegan big chill vintage fridge leaves and flours kitchenaid mixer giveaway
You might be looking for that big gift? The one that really steals the show? You could put a giant bow on it & call it the best gift you've ever given? Big Chill makes new fridges with a vintage aesthetic, so you don't have to worry about the longevity of your classic looking icebox. It might not be the most romantic of gifts. But this Big Chill fridge is not only incredibly practical, it's stunning. And it happens to match my standing mixer making it an automatic winner in my book. Speaking of which! If that someone in your life doesn't already have a standing mixer and they are the sort of person who loves to do anything in the kitchen, then that's should be the gift you're saving up for! Getting a KitchenAid mixer changed my life, and it is still the best gift I ever received.

4 comments:

  1. A glitter spatula? Why is this not in my life? And I agree, kitchen aid mixers are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food as gifts are great! My best friend gives those to me all of the time because she knows how much I love to eat different types of vegetarian meals and pastries.

    I'm in love with that fridge now by the way, the color is beautiful!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. those mixing bowls are so dreamy! i've been looking at neat bowls with lids and metal bento box type things for lunch meals. last year i got a citrus peeler which is the most simple thing i never knew i needed. the best kitchen gifts i ever got were obvs my mixer, hand stamped napkins from my best friend, and different attachments. also you are right about high quality ingredients— they make the best gifts. lately i've been adding books that are more technique related to my wish list rather than recipe books.

    anyway, that fridge is so dreamy and you would have a glitter spatula! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I think I need everything on this post! ;)

    ReplyDelete