Friday, April 19, 2013

Everything but the Kitchen Sink


My house has been without internet for fifteen days. I believe this is the longest time I have gone without a solid internet connection since I acquired a computer for the first time in high school. For the first week I thought it was really nice. The weather was completely beautiful, and I was spending more time with friends than putzing around the web. It was a wonderful detox from all the ridiculousness that constant internet access allows. The second week, I started feeling much differently. I became increasingly bitter that I couldn't watch Game of Thrones. I became frantic when I tried to check my Google Reader at a coffee shop where I only had fifteen minutes to spare. Fast forward to today, three Comcast technicians and two enraged phone calls later, and we still don't have the internet. So I am yet again at a coffee shop trying to update this ignored little blog while my boyfriend is running an errand.
We were suppose to fly out to Chicago for a quick vacation, but the city was in a state of emergency from all the rain they got and our flight was canceled! We are gonna try again today. Hopefully I will be drinking milkshakes at the Chicago Diner in T-minus 6 hours. Until then, I will let you know about a few things I have done in the last few weeks.

leaves and flours vegan worldwide bake sale
leaves and flours vegan cupcakes leaves and flours vegan cupcakes

I have been organizing an event at Roots Market for Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale this year. I am always super excited to participate in this awesome event. So if you are local to the area, you should head out next weekend and support Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary! I also started creating a Cupcake of the Week, to make my daily work routine a little more interesting. I've had the chance to make a few fun flavors, above are Almond Joy and Banana Split. I am sure there are tons more to come. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears. I have a spreadsheet I have been keeping track of all the potential flavors for each season in.
In the craziness that has been the last month, I kept forgetting to eat breakfast and had a bunch of overripe bananas. Though I would normally make banana bread, I decided to switch it up. I tried a baked banana cake donut with a PB2 peanut butter glaze. They were good, but I definitely need to make a few more batches to tweak the recipe before I share it.

leaves and flours vegan baked banana peanut butter cake donuts

After I wrote the blog post on the white chocolate eggs I found, Charm School Chocolates sent me the peanut butter eggs I missed out on! What amazing people! They even sent me samples of some of their other chocolates, which were both to die for!

leaves and flours vegan charm school chocolates leaves and flours vegan charm school chocolates

Hopefully by the time we return from our vacation the internet will be restored and I can work on more fun kitchen things! I need to tweak those donuts and still haven't made the baklava I was so set on last month. There is just never enough time in the day! If there is a place in Chicago, I need to visit this weekend, let me know! I know about the obvious like the Chicago Diner, Pick Me Up, Handlebar, etc. But are there are any places that I can't miss out on?!

4 comments:

  1. don't be sad about the internet— you're not missing out on anything! enjoy your trip, i'll be drooling over those chocolates! oh, and maybe ask kenny if there is anywhere you should visit while up there— he'd know for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get some PB2!!!! I keep forgetting. I think I am the last person on earth who hasn't tried it yet. Have fun eating in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a good vacation and have Internet when you get back. Also happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geez. I don't know what I'd do without internet that long. Have fun on your trip and hopefully you'll get to watch all the Game of Thrones you want when you get back

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete