Monday, December 12, 2011

Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookies

My partner hates everything about Christmas except for two things, The Christmas Story and these cookies. Last year, he and his housemate made these for their families and neighbors, and I am sure that everyone was pretty excited. These cookies involve one of my favorite wintery combinations, candy canes and chocolate. There aren't many combinations of chocolate and mint that don't please me. While I think my favorite might still be the peppermint brownie, it's really a close call.
This is the second time we have made these cookies this month. The first time they got eaten so quickly I didn't have time to take a picture. Our standby recipe for chocolate chip cookies is the Ghiradelli recipe using Earth Balance and Ener-G powder. Since the grocery store nearby didn't have vegan chocolate chips, we crushed a bar of 52% dark semi-sweet chocolate. We also threw in 4 pulverized candy canes and a few drops of peppermint extract (be careful to add slowly, mint extract is normally very strong!). I think it's a pretty terrific ratio, but you could save some of the candy canes to place on top of the cookies after baking if you want them to look a little prettier.
Just so you are forewarned, the candy might melt during baking and make it a little tough to remove the cookies from the tray.

leaves and flours vegan chocolate chip candy cane cookies

Do you make any other desserts with candy canes?

1 comment:

  1. I love minty desserts, so I try to throw crushed candy canes into everything around this time of year. Brownies and fudge with candy canes are killer, just like the classic peppermint bark, too. As long as you pair it with chocolate, you're pretty much golden. :)

    ReplyDelete