Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gluten Free Coconut Lime Loaf

leaves and flours vegan gluten free coconut lime loaf

Gluten free baking is still something that intimidates me. I have so many flours around that I have gathered, but am never sure what the best way is to combine them. Maybe I should have started with buying a pre-mixed gluten-free flour combination, but what's the fun in that? When I saw this recipe posted by PeaSoupEats, I knew I would need to try it. I have been on a citrus kick lately, and with a friend who is gluten sensitive in town, it was the perfect excuse to try it out.
For the two cups of flour, I used a mixture of almond meal (~3/4 cup), coconut flour (~1/2 cup), white rice flour (~1/2 cup), and tapioca flour (~1/4 cup). I subbed the the 2 measures of cointreau, for 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil.
To help in easing the loaf out, I baked it with parchment paper in the pan for easy removal. My folding wasn't incredibly precise, so the edges are a bit wonky. But the edges perfectly baking didn't seem as important to me as removing the loaf unbroken. I know from experience that coconut flour browns pretty rapidly, and my loaf was definitely a bit darker than hers with the same baking time but I think the flavor is worth it. The flavor of this loaf was something that I really enjoyed. My batch turned out a little too moist, but I think I can remedy that when I bake it again.
Do you have any tips for gluten free baking? What are you favorite flours or flour combinations?

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I love coconut flavoured things but I haven't tried citrus with coconut yet. And it's gluten-free! Woo.

    I don't usually like to spend a lot of money on all of the fancy flours, so I just use oat flour (oats ground up). Using oat flour for breads like this tends to make the bread kind of heavy, but I like to use an oat/nut flour mix and it makes for fluffier baking. I'm no expert though! I just really like to experiment :)

    ReplyDelete